To the left of the altar in the Church of St Ignáce there is a small Eastern European icon depicting the Our Lady Rušánská ( Our Lady of Jičín ) dating from 1643 and considered to be the palladium ( protector ) of Jičín. Hundreds of stories proclaiming wondrous miracles are attributed to the picture.
- THE CHURCH OF ST. IGNATIUS
- ALTAR DEDICATED TO ST. FRANCIS XAVIER
- THE CHURCH OF ST JACOB
- VALDŠTEJN (WALLENSTEIN) SQUARE
- VALDŠTEJN (WALLENSTEIN) CHATEAU
- THE ARCADED COURTYARD
- VALDICE GATE
- CHATEAU PARK AND TOWN FORTIFICATIONS
- JEWISH SCHOOL
- JEWISH STREET
The origins of the picture are a mystery themselves. The chronicle of the Jesuit seminary mentions a certain non-Catholic preacher who brought the icon from an unknown cathedral somewhere near Moscow. On his death bed, the preacher left the picture and his other possessions to his son, also a preacher. The son received enlightenment through looking at the icon and converted to Catholicism. In turn, the Polish priest Matěj Hentz took possession of the picture, which he then brought to Bohemia when he became vicar of Dobrovice near Mladá Boleslav. In 1637 and after much pleading by the famous Jesuit, Nicolaus Lancicius, the icon was presented to the Rector of the Jesuit seminary in Jičín, P. Konrad Stadlhoffer, where it was added to the treasures of the Church of St Ignáce.
After the Church of St Ignáce had been plundered in May 1643 by the Swedish troops of General Wittenberg and the gold and silver statue of Our Lady Foyenská had been stolen, the small panel painting of Our Lady Rušánská took the statue's place and soon miracles were reported. People increasingly spoke of wondrous healings, various miracles and the celestial protection which the picture of the Black Madonna afforded. As a result, Jičín became one of the most important pilgrimage sites of Baroque Bohemia during the 18th Century, with up to 40,000 pilgrims visiting annually.